Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Describing Process

I am especially interested in how we might use our Blogs to describe our process of creating materials whether it be music, performing, or constructing movies, creating Flash "documents" or designing strategies. I certainly concur with some observations that suggest that reflection might devolve into "philosophizing" and become detached from meaningful discourse.

Bringing things into closer proximity with the Doing and Making is one way of remaining anchored in the reality of our art. Words are more meaningful when they are accountable in terms of actions and objects. This is certainly in the spirit of John Dewey's Art As Experience which remains one of the most import statements about teaching, learning, and making in all arts.

I don't suggest this to be an absolute statement or a prescription. Words are powerful entities when they create a context, and a poem that uses language abstractly can often open up new avenues of perception, awareness, and understanding.

2 comments:

flute said...

The Doing and Making is kicking my butt. How can I put into words the process of do and undo since that is what I seem to be doing? I guess that is part of the journey and the joy of learning. The more I observe how I work, the more questions arise in the how and why.

Wyzard said...

i don't know who said this first, but "i feel your pain..." although in the yin and yang of it, my pain is my joy. i struggle through new syntax, new languages, new works, new techniques...but worthwhile creation never comes without working through the impediments and obstacles that stem from my unawareness. All anwers always lead to more questions...