Monday, February 20, 2006

Cut Off At The Knees!

It had to happen. Once everyone has the power of free speech and the power to publish freely and at will, someone is bound to come along and put you in your place. As a colleague used to remark gleefully when he had exposed a weakness of a fellow colleague, "With that argument, I cut him off at the knees!" This was usually followed with a self-satisfied chuckle.

About ten days ago, I observed that I had been expecting a higher level of discourse from graduate students who are embarked upon their own personal journeys in music technology, music making, and music education. I got irate e-mail messages, face to face challenges, and comments to my posting that were at that time, an amazing leap into a higher level of inquiry and observation.

One student completely deconstructed my entry and demonstrated for all to see how terribly wrong I was, and how I had misrepresented (my word) the course when I said it could be whatever you wanted it to be. This student indicated that the course seemed to be about advanced blogging (Blogging 201?) Very effective. Involved. Intelligent. Passionate.

Another student made it clear that it wasn't the first time that the student had been asked to contribute to a group and that experiment failed, too (maybe just as this current project is also doomed?). Cut me off, right at the knees. Passionate. Informed. Courageously devastating.

So here I am, once again. Just another Blogger who is NOT blogging for the sake of blogging--- something I would not wish on any of my students or colleagues. What I am reading now, though, has more depth because it springs from the actual encounter of technology on a personal level which provides tremendous insight, and makes me wish I could do some of what is beginning to be described. Flautaphile provides an insightful and evocative entry in "trying to contribute." For someone who claims to be dispassionate about technology, the entry itself seems intense, accurate, and a stark reminder of the limits of technology.

For another thing, I really do not regard these "students" as my students. They are more like my teachers and mentors. I certainly appear to be learning more from them than they are from me, especially when I get cut off at the knees.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I think it's amazing that you, as someone who's accomplished very much in your life, are constantly searching for more ways to learn. It's admirable that you acknowledge being "cut off at the knees". Your humility is inspiring for all of us.

flute said...

This is truly a passionate and honest post. Very motivating, in fact.